Life insurance for dogs is really important if only you treat your pet as a family which obviously they are. It makes sense to purchase a life or at least a health insurance policy to protect your four-legged family from unforeseen circumstances.
Dogs’ life insurance is different from dogs’ health insurance. Health insurance covers a portion of your pet’s medical expenses and doctor’s visits, while life insurance pays out a lump-sum death benefit upon premature death.
Being a pet parent these days is not cheap considering the expenses and high cost of medical care, Vaccination, tick treatments, grooming, etc.
At this point, you might wonder why anyone would buy life insurance for dogs. This is why this article was made.
What Is Pet Health Insurance?
Pet insurance is a health insurance policy for your pet that pays for medical expenses and sometimes other costs. Pet insurance plans are typically reimbursement-based, meaning you pay up-front for the pet’s vet bills and submit a claim to the insurance company. A few companies can pay the vet directly, which helps keep your out-of-pocket payments low.
What Is Life Insurance for Dogs?
life insurance for dogs is different from human life insurance. This type of insurance only helps you to replace your pet if they eventually die or goes missing. We know how important our four-legged friends are to us and especially the high cost of getting a certain breed, we wouldn’t want to lose them without having a replacement. Hence life insurance could be worth it.
Pets Life Insurance for High-Quality Dogs
Let’s consider how expensive some of these dogs are, you wouldn’t want to lose your pet without a replacement if necessary. Some people use these pets as an investment.
Basically, any animal that helps you generate a revenue stream probably deserves a life insurance policy, at least until the dies in old age. When that happens, you might not need the policy anymore.
let’s look at some high-quality dog breed prices, so you can decide whether or not you need insurance.
- $3,500 on a Bernese mountain dog.
- $3,000 on a rottweiler.
- $3,500 on a Staffordshire bull terrier.
- $3,000 on a golden retriever.
- $5,000 on a Black Russian terrier.
- $4,000 on a French bulldog.
Most Popular Dog Breeds and Their Life Expectancy
- Labrador Retriever, 12 years
- German Shepherd, 10 years
- Golden Retriever, 12 years
- Beagle, 12 years
- Bulldog, 6 years
- Yorkshire Terrier, 14 years
- Boxer, 9 years
- Poodle, 12 years
- Rottweiler, 9 years
- Dachshund, 13 years
Best Pets Life Insurance Company
- Embrace – Best For Superior Benefits
- Pets Best – Great For Choices Of Deductible
- ManyPets – Best For Lowest Out-Of-Pocket Claims Costs
- Figo – Great For Short Waiting Period For Accident Coverage
- Lemonade – Best Price For Kittens And Puppies
- Spot – Best For Annual Coverage Choices
- ASPCA – Great For No Waiting Period For Special Conditions
- Nationwide – Best For Unlimited Wellness Coverage
- Prudent Pet – Great For Extras
- TrustedPals – Great For Service Dogs
Is a dog life insurance policy worth it?
The average cost of pet life insurance policies is approximately $250-900 a year, which means that for a dog that lives ten years, you would spend $90,000 on premiums. The cost of life insurance monthly premiums is also based on the dog’s breed, age, location, deductible amount, and level of benefit
What Are the Limitations of Dog Life Insurance?
Not all dog deaths are covered by your insurance. There are also some factors that might not be included in the insurance policy, including such things as:
- Hereditary diseases: Some purebred dogs are prone to serious illnesses, and deaths caused by these illnesses will not be covered by dog life insurance.
- Preexisting conditions: Your insurance company will require a health assessment by a veterinarian before issuing a policy. If your pet already suffers from a serious illness, whether hereditary or not, you may not qualify for coverage.
- Old age: Every dog has their life expectancy. Pet life insurance limits coverage to a given time span that provides coverage while your pet is in its prime of life.
What Does Pet Insurance Cover?
Pet insurance plans are generally available in three varieties:
- Accident and illness plans (the most common)
- Accident-only plans
- Wellness plans for routine care such as vaccinations, usually available as an add-on
How Do I Buy a Pet Insurance Plan?
There are typically 3 ways you can buy pet insurance.
- By phone call or email: You can look up most pet insurance companies by calling their phone line and submitting the necessary documents
- Online: Many pet insurance companies offer free quotes online. You’ll typically answer a few basic questions about your pet. You can also use a pet insurance comparison site to look at several options at once.
- In-person: Most companies have physical offices be sure to search for one around you and ensure your pet is there.
Pet Insurance Inclusions
The range of benefits varies with the insurer as well as the cost of the premium. Following is the coverage provided under Pet Insurance:
- Surgery Expenses Cover
- Death due to accident
- Hospitalization Cover
- Lost or stolen dogs
Pet Insurance Exclusions
In some cases, the insurer shall not cover all medical expenses:
- Any surgeries that are not necessitated because of illness or accident
- Surgeries done due to pregnancy or whelping are not covered
- Any surgery related to grooming is excluded
Dog Insurance FAQ
Pet insurance is a health insurance policy for your pet that pays for medical expenses and sometimes other costs. Pet insurance plans are typically reimbursement-based, meaning you pay up-front for the pet’s vet bills and submit a claim to the insurance company
This type of insurance only helps you to replace your pet if they eventually die or go missing
Pets Best and Embrace offer the best pet insurance based on coverage features and cost. Figo, Lemonade, ManyPets, and Spot also offer superior plans.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.