Have you been asking yourself how many jobs are available in public utilities? Then your answer is here. The public utility sector is an integral part of society as it provides essential services to the public.
To join a public utility firm, you must know what they do and the basic job requirements. As we all know, public utilities play a significant role in our society today, from maintaining infrastructure to providing public services.
This guide will help you understand how to find an entry-level job with public utilities and what jobs are open.
What Are Public Utilities Services?
Public utility services include all sorts of compulsory services for functioning a society. Examples of public utility services include gas supply, recycling, waste disposal, public rail transportation, Electricity Services, etc. They all play a significant role in today’s environment and contribute to society’s well-being.
How Many Jobs Are Available In Public Utilities?
Are you interested in knowing what jobs are available in the public utility sector? Here is the solution for you.
Here’s the complete listing of the open jobs for public utilities. Alongside the profile, you’ll get an idea of the companies working in the public utility field.
#1. Water And Waste Management Public Utility Sector
The Water And Waste Management Public Utility Sector are among the most significant industries in the United States. They are in charge of eliminating wastewater from residential places and homes.
Many companies work in this sector, and they all have different roles.
The sewage removal sector is a massive operation, employing thousands of people nationwide, and these departments require more employees than the other departments in the united states. They also work with local governments to ensure proper regulations.
#2. Natural Gas Utilities
Before we begin talking about natural gas utility, let’s first understand. What is a Gas Utility? Gas utilities are local distribution companies (LDCs). These companies own and operate the systems that deliver natural gas to your home or business.
In 2020 the united states used about 30.5 (Tcf) of natural gas. ExxonMobil and Chevron, these two companies, produce more than 33% of the oil and gaseous petrol in the country. A single company supports more than 9.8 million jobs. That means that 5.6% of the US employment population is covered up. More than 2.1 million jobs support an unconventional oil and natural gas value chain.
Uses of Natural Gas According to Various Sectors In The United States
- Natural Gas in the Electric Power Sector: In the electric power sector, natural gas generates electricity and produces thermal output. Approximately 38 percent of all-natural gas in the United States is for electric power generation.
- Natural Gas in the Industrial Sector: The industrial sector is one of the primary natural gas consumers in the United States. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the industrial sector uses 33% of all the natural gas consumed in the country.
- Natural Gas in the Residential Sector: Residential natural gas use has many benefits. It is efficient for heating buildings, water, cooking, and drying clothes. Natural gas is considered green energy, which means it doesn’t produce much air pollution compared to other fuels like coal or oil.
- Natural Gas in the Commercial Sector: Natural gas is considered fuel for heating homes but has many uses in the commercial sector. Also, it can generate electricity, power vehicles, heat water, and be used for industrial purposes.
#3. Electric Power Utility Services
Electricity generation has a massive impact on our modern society today. Almost every house home utility service in the USA depends on the power supply. Since the first invention of the electric light bulb by Thomas Edison in 1879 united states government has ensured that consumers receive reliable and affordable services. Today, the electric power industry has provided jobs for millions of Americans. According to the USEER research report, by the end of 2020, the employee numbers are reaching 7.5 million.
There are three main sectors for electric utility: Generation, Distribution, and Transmission.
- Generation: Takes place at the power plants. It is where the electricity is created from various energy sources like natural gas, coal, and nuclear fission.
- Transmission: This is the bulk movement of electrical energy from a generating site, such as a power plant, to an electrical substation
- Distribution: This is when the electricity is distributed to individuals’ residences for consumption
Are Public Utilities a Good Career Path?
Public utilities are a good career path to pursue because of their many opportunities in. other fields. According to research conducted by Infidelity, the utility sector had a market capitalization of over $1.58 trillion.
10 Big Public Utilities Company You Can Work
- Électricité de France SA: It is a French state-owned company that provides services such as power generation, transmission, distribution, and trading.
- Enel SpA: The company is based in Rome; Enel SpA is a multinational power company and a leading integrated player in the world’s power and gas markets, with a presence in 32 countries and a focus on Europe and Latin America.
- Engine: It is a French multinational utility providing customers with a broad spectrum of energy and environment services in more than 70 countries.
- Tokyo Electric Power Co. Holdings (TKECY): The company generates and distributes electricity through the Tokyo area and several other regions in Japan. The firm utilizes an integrated utilities company’s hydroelectric, nuclear, and thermal power sources.
- E.ON SE is a Germany-based company and an international energy supplier with operations across Europe. The company focuses on power and gas distribution, while it also operates a customer solutions branch focused on energy sales, infrastructure, and growth businesses.
- Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEP): This company generates and distributes electricity for various residential and business uses.
- Iberdrola SA: It is a Spanish multinational electric utility with operations in the U.S., U.K., Spain, Portugal, and Latin America.
- Exelon Corp. (EXC): Exelon Corp is one of the largest domestic power generators, and it operates as a utility services holding company serving millions of customers in Pennsylvania, Illinois, and several other areas of the U.S.
- Kansai Electric Power Co. Inc (KAEPY): Kansai Electric Power Co. provides electricity to customers in Japan in Osaka and the surrounding Kansai region.
- Centrica PLC: Centrica primarily supplies electricity and gas to customers across the U.K. and elsewhere in Europe and the U.S.
What Is An Average Salary Of A Utilities Worker?
Here is all about the average pay systems of utility workers.
- The average utility worker’s pay is $20.62 for hourly services in the United States.
- A professional utility worker can make $82,171 per year.
- An average utility worker works 43.7 hours a week.
- The salary can also differ depending on the experience and the specific job type.
- A high school diploma or any relevant training certificate is enough to apply for public utility services jobs.
- Numbers of benefits are available for the retirement policies.
Now you know how many Jobs Are Available in Public Utilities. Consider working for a public utility if you want a stable, rewarding career. One of the best things about working for a public utility is the variety of available jobs, making them an attractive option for job seekers.
Public Utilities: FAQ
Public utilities jobs pay $82,171 per year, on average.
The United States has 1,958 POUs with an average of 12,100 electricity customers each.
Most energy utilities and waste collection operations are privately owned businesses—commonly referred to as investor-owned utilities (IOUs)
In April of 2022, studies showed that ExxonMobil and Chevron are the leading oil and natural gas producers in the United States
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.