Starting a business can sometimes be difficult, especially for beginners or small business owners hoping for expansion. Business loans for bad credit are available for business owners with poor credit scores.
Borrowers will need a minimum personal credit score of 500 to qualify for bad credit business loans. Lenders always use credit reports as a measure to determine credit worthiness; this shows that a borrower can always repay their loan according to the terms
However, most lenders set no minimum credit score requirements but consider factors such as revenue or time in business for approval.
Here we discuss how to find the best business loans for bad credit.
What Is a Business Loan?
A business loan is typically borrowed money for a business intending to pay back with a certain amount of interest at a particular period.
What Is a Bad Credit Score?
A credit score represents your creditworthiness. A credit score below 580 is classified as poor according to the FISCO credit report model; this model determines whether your credit score is poor or excellent. However, a credit score between 580-669 is regarded as fair credit.
Also Read: 10 Benefits of Obtaining a Personal Loan
Best Small Business Loans For Bad Credit
BEST FOR SHORT-TERM LOANS
OnDeck is the best overall small business loan lender for bad credit because it accepts minimum credit scores of 600, and same-day funding is possible.
You can apply for a loan if you’ve been in business for over a year, have a business bank account, and have at least $100,000 in annual revenue.
BEST FOR QUICK APPROVALS
Fundbox is an AI-powered business lending platform that speeds up the application, decision-making, and funding process. It offers decisions within three minutes and funds before the next business day.
Fundbox also offers its Insights Advantage program, which lets borrowers view their combined balances and cash flow predictions in one place when they connect multiple business bank accounts. It also alerts when Fundbox predicts that a borrower’s cash flow may fall below the set threshold.
BEST FOR LOAN OPTIONS
Credibly is suitable for small and medium-scale businesses to help them grow, providing good customer support and also the right capital size for your business.
To qualify for a small business loan with Credibly, you must have revenue of at least $15,000 per month, which makes it a great option if you have revenue
BEST FOR CROWDFUNDING UP TO $15,000
Kiva is a microlender offering a unique crowdfunding platform for prospective borrowers. Compared to traditional financing, Kiva utilizes your personal network and its network of 1.6 million investor lenders to crowdfund loans up to $15,000 with terms of up to 36 months.
BEST FOR PRODUCT AVAILABILITY
Business owners looking for unsecured loans can access various options, including term loans, lines of credit, merchant cash advances, and invoice factoring.
Rapid Finance unsecured loans range from $5,000 to $1 million with terms from three to 60 months, depending on the specific type of loan. However, business owners with bad credit typically won’t receive the largest loan amounts.
What’s more, borrowers are required to meet daily or weekly repayment schedules.
BEST FOR WORKING CAPITAL LOANS
Biz2Credit makes working capital loans between $25,000 and $2 million available to business owners with bad personal credit. Its working capital loans are paid back with your business receipts through daily, weekly, or bimonthly payments. It only takes a few minutes to apply and 24 hours to receive a decision.
GREAT FOR CREDIT REPAIR
Bad credit business owners looking to access a line of credit on an as-needed basis can receive funds between $6,000 and $250,000. Through BlueVine’s Flex 6 payment structure, borrowers make weekly payments over 26 weeks. What’s more, after 45 days of payment on Flex 6, you may be eligible for a credit line increase
Also Read: How To Become A Millionaire By Age 30
THE BEST ONLINE MARKETPLACE
QuickBridge is an online lending marketplace where various small business loans are available to borrowers with low credit scores. However, its lack of transparency means seeing rates, terms, and fees before applying for a loan is impossible.
QuickBridge reviews from business owners are largely positive, though some borrowers have said it’s difficult to alter terms if you struggle with repayment.
BEST SMALL BUSINESS LOANS
If you need flexible financing, consider a small business line of credit with Lendio. You’re not obligated to use all of the funds, and you won’t pay for the funds you don’t use. Many consider a line of credit like a safety net—it’s there if you need it.
BEST FOR STARTERS
Kapitus offers short-term loans up to $500,000 in as little as 24 hours. The process is quick and easy, with limited documentation, and offers the best prepayment discounts in the industry. This funding is ideal for inventory, immediate cash flow, bridge financing, or any other use you may need for financing your business over a term of 3 – 36 months.
Tips for Comparing Business Loans for Bad Credit
Consider these tips when comparing business loans for bad credit:
- Consider minimum credit score requirements for each lender
- Compare the top-end range of interest rates; this also depends on your credit score.
- Determine how you want to receive your funds
- Consider the repayment terms and flexibility of either monthly or weekly payments. Compare lenders’ repayment terms when choosing your preferred lender and business loan.
- Look out for additional fees.
- Evaluate the lender’s customer support options. Research the lender’s customer service resources and read reviews to ensure it fits well.
Can You Get a Small Business Loan With Bad Credit?
The answer is YES. But applicants may find it difficult to be approved by most lenders due to the criteria required to qualify. Small business owners with credit scores below 580 might get high-interest rates.
How to Get a Business Loan With Bad Credit
The process of applying for a business loan varies by financial institution, but most banks and online lenders impose similar requirements. It’s important to note before you submit your application, you should consider taking these steps:
- Check your personal and business credit scores
- Improve your credit scores
- Prepare your business for due diligence
- Identify possible co-signers
- Compare lenders to find the best deal
- Lastly, submit an application
Where to get a business loan with bad credit
These are some of the best places to get a bad credit business loan:
- Traditional banks and credit unions: It is usually tough to acquire a business loan from this institution, especially if you have bad credit; it is almost impossible. However, suppose you have a stable cash flow and are already working with a local bank or credit union. In that case, you may be able to qualify with a local lender that already knows your business and revenue.
- Online lenders: Online lenders offer more qualifications than traditional institutions serving borrowers, especially those with bad credit. What’s more, online lenders provide faster funding speeds than traditional banks.
- CDFIs: A community development financial institution. This is a private financial institution that is dedicated to helping low-income, low-wealth, and other disadvantaged people and communities access economic opportunities.
- Microlenders: A microloan is any loan of $50,000 or less. These loans are often provided by nonprofit organizations or government agencies, so they offer competitive interest rates and fewer fees.
- Merchant service providers: Merchant service providers offer financing in exchange for a portion of future credit card sales. If your business experiences a high volume of sales, merchant cash advances (MCAs) may be a good way to access cash quickly
Also Read: Finance Development Institutions
What Credit Score Is Needed for Startup Business Loans?
If your credit score is above or a minimum of 680 you can get pretty approval from most lenders. Higher credit is always better. Though many lenders have minimum credit score thresholds.
Can I Get a Business Loan With an 800 Credit Score?
Oh yes, If your score is 800 or above, you’re in an excellent position for qualifying so many loans. In fact, you should consider the best business loan and you will get a high rate. You could also seek a loan from traditional lenders, like a bank or credit union if your credit score is high.
What is Considered a Bad Credit Score?
This can depend on the lender but keep in mind that each lender decides for itself what credit scores will be considered acceptable.
- 720-850 (Excellent): A credit score that falls within this range, will have more advantages when borrowing or picking a loan that makes the most sense for their business, also provided they meet other requirements such as time in business or revenues.
- 670-719 (Good): This score is considered good credit. A borrower with this type of score can expect to have a good choice of lending options though not as many as if scores were higher.
- 620-669 (Fair): These scores are higher risk, especially those on the low end of this range. It may be possible to get a small business loan, but financing will not likely come with the lowest interest rates.
- 500-619 (Poor): Business loans for bad credit are suitable for those with this credit score but might involve a credit check before a lender will consider lending money for your business. Funding options are limited and the interest rates will likely be high.
- Below 500 (Very Poor): With this credit score, it is unlikely a business owner will qualify for a business loan that involves a credit check.
What to Do if You Can’t Get Approved for a Business Loan
There are so many reasons why lenders may reject your loan application, Be persistent and ask for details as to why your application was rejected. It may be that you are just a few points from an acceptable credit score. Or it may be if you increase your revenues your application would be approved.
Next, take the necessary steps to work on your credit.
- Always monitor your credit
- Every loan or credit card payment should be made early.
- Reduce your debt
- Work on your business credit.
Things to Consider When Applying for a Small Business Loan
Before you apply for a business loan for bad credit, there are several factors that may influence your approval odds as well as the terms of your loan. Before applying, here are a few things you might want to consider first.
- The Relationship of Personal Credit to Business Loan Approval: Let’s say your business has no credit history, traditional lenders will use your personal credit score to determine your creditworthiness. Having this in mind it is important to improve your personal credit score so you’ll have plenty of options when applying for a small business loan.
- The Relationship Between Credit Scores and Interest Rates: In this case, if your personal or business credit is great, you will receive the best interest rate on your loans. But if it is poor you might be receiving a higher annual percentage rate (APR).
- Online Lenders Vs. Traditional Banks: Traditional lenders like banks and credit unions tend to have strict policies and eligibility requirements, and more documentation for loan approval and they also can be slower which can be exhausting.
- Business Loan Costs: Beyond the principal amount of a loan, small business financing terms often include additional costs you must consider. By keeping loan costs to a minimum, you’ll have more capital to reinvest in your business.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Bad Credit Business Loans?
Securing a business loan with bad credit can be a hard task but it is the first step that many business owners take to expand or start new a business. The terms and conditions from most lenders may be different, we always advise borrowers to visit loan pages to learn about loan policies.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below, this will help serve you better.
We Also Recommend
- The 15 Best Books about Investment for Beginners
- What Is Delayed Financing: Homebuying Guide?
- The 8 Best Unemployment Cash Advance Apps of 2022
- Bank of America ATM Withdrawal Limit 2022
- The Two Levels Of Rich That Doesn’t Rely On Index Funds
- How to create your own personal success this year
- Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs In The UK 2022 And Career Tips
- What Are The Space Bus And Rocket Engines?
- Finance Development Institutions
- What Are Marketing 5 c’s For Business Planning?
- How To Become A Millionaire By Age 30